30 April 2012

Scottish Highlands

I just got back from a wonderful trip to the Scottish Highlands.  It is unspeakably beautiful and serene there.  I could just stay there forever, hiking around those giant mountains, playing in the lochs, and wading in the streams.   The trip was offered for all of Dalkeith House and most of us decided to go.  I am so glad that I did, it was by far my favorite trip of the semester.

First on Thursday, April 26th, we traveled to Doune Castle just outside of Stirling.  This castle was built in the late 14th.  I enjoyed running around the castle, climbing on the roof (shh....) and just learning the history.   After Doune Castle, I went to Glencoe and hiked all around that area in the huge mountains, filled with streams and sheep.  That night we stayed right outside Fort William, at the base of the tallest mountain in Great Britain, Ben Nevis.  The summit, at 1,344 metres (4,409 ft) above sea level, features the ruins of an observatory, which was permanently staffed between 1883 and 1904.  It takes 8 hours to hike up and down this mountain, so I didn't get the chance to do it, but someday I will go back and do it.  
Doune Castle


Hiking around 
Ben Nevis Beer, at Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

On Friday, April 27th I saw Neptune's Staircase, but do to traffic I didn't get to stop and walk around the area, but Neptune's Staircase was still pretty neat.  After Neptune's staircase I visited Glenfinnan Viaduct.  Glenfinnan Viaduct is a railway bridge on the West Highland Line in Glenfinnan, Lochaber Highland, Scotland. It was built between 1897 and 1901. The viaduct overlooks the Glenfinnan Monument and the waters of Loch Shiel.  The main reason I am noting this amazing bridge is because it was used in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  Next was a tour of Loch Ness and a search for Nessie, on a cruise around the loch.  After the boat ride, me and a few other brave souls decided to go swimming in Loch Ness.  It was around 40F outside and the water was even colder, seeing as Loch Ness is about 30 miles long, and around 1000 feet deep.  Then we had a visit to a Urquhart Castle, which was a pretty cool castle, but I have seen so many castles they all start to fade together.  
Loch Shiel


Glenfinnian Viaduct
Preparing to swim in Loch Ness
Swimming in Loch Ness
Snowing right after swimming! 
Saturday, April 28th, I visited Culloden Battlefield, which many of you will know from the film, Braveheart.  This was actually not a battle field used for what the movie portrays as a battle between Scotland and England, but rather the Jacobrites and the government.  Then that Afternoon, I went on a walk down the River Ness.  The River Ness has some very cute little islands in the middle of it that you can cross to by a footbridge.  It was a pleasant walk.  

The River Ness
The last day I spent in the highlands was Sunday, April 29th.  I visited For George, which is an amazing artillery fort that has a low profile and an amazing view of sea life.  Then I visited a small town called Pitlochery where I visited a huge dam and got chocolate ice cream!   After that I went to the Aberfeldy Distillery where they distill Aberfeldy 12 and Aberfeldy 21 single malt Scotch Whisky. The distillery is located where Perthshire's highest mountain, deepest loch, and longest glen meet, and is historically and geographically the 'Heart of Scotland'.  Many of you may know their whiskey in the states as Dewar's Whiskey, which they are also famous for in the states.  After that the last stop of the weekend was at the Hermitage in Dunkeld where there was a magnificent waterfall and beautiful scenery.    


Fort George

Aberfeldy Distillery

Aberfeldy Distillery

Hermitage Waterfall


  

No comments:

Post a Comment