21 February 2012

Please Mind the Gap

I just got back yesterday from my adventure to London, it was overwhelming to say the least.  London gave me a chance to perfect my english accent, but besides that it was CRAZY! Seriously, it was very dirty, big, exhausting, smelly, and just busy.  It is comparable to NYC except the people are a bit nicer.  I did so much while I was there I don't even know where to begin.  


First I rode a train from Waverley Station (Edinburgh) down to Kings Cross Station (London).  I had to leave Dalkeith Palace at 6:30am to get to the train so my day started very early.  Then after I arrived in London, I checked into the Generator Hostel, which is an 800 bed gigantic hostel.  After leaving my stuff at the hostel I went to the Science Museum (which is free!) it was amazing! I spent my afternoon there, then went to the "best" fish & chips place, recommended by a local.  It was not good at all and 3 of us got a little sick from it.  Later that night we were so exhausted we all crashed pretty early.  




The next day (Saturday, Feb. 18) I went to breakfast for free at the Generator and stocked up on rolls and cheese for the day (lunch).  I headed out to bus no. 11 and I led us on a tour (book read of course)!  Then we decided to walk the tour backwards from where the bus left us off and see the sights like Big Ben and Westminster Abbey.  After that I got a wee bit of tea from a fantastic little place, it had been cold and rainy so I needed to warm up!  Then I went to see Wicked.  We were told that the tube stop we needed was closed so we got a bit lost but found our way after all! Wicked was incredible! London sure knows how to do theatre!  After that we were ready for bed!








On Sunday, 19th, at 11am there was the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace.  We thought we were being smart by leaving early and arriving around 10am.  Man we could not of been more wrong, the crowd was HUGE!! (and that is and UNDERSTATEMENT).  So we waiting for a while, over an hour, and the decided to get crepes.  As we were walking through the park we happened to have a perfect view of the guards and band marching past us on the street! I even go a video of it! It was fantastic!  Next we walked all around London, seeing all sorts of important things.  On the London Eye we saw a couple get engaged! It was very exciting so a couple of us wrote them a postcard saying congrats!  Later we go Falafel (because it is delicious) and then went to a pub and played some cards.  






Monday was leaving day, after seeing the Broad Street Pump where Cholera was discovered along with the discovery that water born disease was possible.  Then Hannah, Erin, and I did some adventuring before heading to Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station and catching a train back to Waverley Station in Edinburgh. 






London was great, but Edinburgh is better.  I am glad to be back in clean air and not in a moldy hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment